It's that significant time of the year again when we get to dress up in our best 1920s-inspired outfits and dance the night away!
If you're planning on hosting a New Year’s Eve party or attending one this holiday season, you'll want to make sure your outfit is perfect. And if it's not quite there yet, don't worry; we've got you covered. We've put together a list of must-have party essentials so that you can create an outfit that fits right in with the ‘roaring twenties’ theme.
Whether you're looking for inspiration for your own look or want to see what other people wear at a holiday party, we've got all the goods right here. Let's get started:
Setting the Mood of Your Gatsby-themed Holiday Party
The most important thing you'll need to do is set the mood for your holiday party. You want everyone to feel like they've stepped back into the 1920s, which means having some decorations on hand. Of course, you can always try decorating with a few different types to get the look and feel of the 1920s. But, if you want to get fancy, you should invest in decorating supplies.
We've got some ideas for you:
- A Champagne Tower - You can't have a Gatsby-themed New Year’s Eve party without some bubbly. What better way to serve it than with a champagne tower? This is one of the best and most entertaining ways to make sure everyone has enough to drink, plus it looks great on any table. You can use either a glass or plastic tower, but if you go with the latter, then make sure to put it on a tray. It's also best to have your guests help themselves from the top of the tower rather than trying to pour champagne into glasses.
- A Cake - A cake is always lovely at any party, but when you're going for an authentic 1920s look, then it's not enough just to have one. You should also decorate it with some sort of decoration like flowers or icing beads.
- A Decorated Table - You can't have a proper 1920s New Year’s Eve party without a decorated table. This is the best way to show off your creativity and make sure that everything looks just right. Try using lots of different colors, patterns, and textures to really make it stand out.
- A Bar - Nothing says the 1920s like a stocked bar. You can even add some decorations to make it look more authentic, like a mirror or a bit of art on the wall behind it. Try using an old-fashioned soda fountain machine for added effect.
- An Authentic Menu - The 1920s were known for their amazing food, so it's important to have an authentic menu at your holiday party. Try making some of the more popular dishes from that era, like breaded chicken cutlets or
- Music - A proper 1920s party wouldn't be complete without some music to set the mood. You can either go with a live jazz band or just play some records on an old-fashioned phonograph player for added authenticity.
Clothes You Need to Capture the Look and Feel of a Gatsby-themed Holiday Party
You've heard of the roaring twenties and Gatsby-inspired outfits. You know what they look like, but do you know how to create the outfit needed to achieve the look?
Let's start with the basics: What's in a Gatsby-inspired outfit?
This is an outfit that's all about glamour, so it needs to be rich in color, texture, and shine. Think bold reds and golds, silky fabrics, and sequins. If you're going for a complete 1920s look, add some feathers or a boa; the more feathers and fringe, the better! This is also an opportunity to get creative with accessories!
The 1920s are one of the most iconic eras in fashion history. It's easy to see why: With their bold colors, fun silhouettes, and unique accessories, they're perfect for any vintage-inspired holiday party or a New Year’s Eve costume party.
Now that you know the basics let's go through what you need to create a Gatsby-inspired look! You can even use this guide to look for the perfect Christmas gift ideas for mom as well!
Shoes to Help You Walk the Walk
The most important part of any outfit is the shoes. You want to be sure they're appropriate for your event and comfortable enough to dance in all night long! We recommend a classic pair of black pumps or kitten heels. If you're going for full 1920s glamour, add some sparkle by pairing your shoes with some metallic accessories like belts, earrings, and necklaces.
You can also add an extra touch of sparkle with some glittery nail polish or rhinestone-encrusted heels.
Holiday Dresses to Capture the 1920's Silhouette
The right new year's eve dress is the key to any 1920s look. To capture a New Year's Eve Great Gatsby Roaring 20s Party Dress look, you can definitely go with a full-length gown, but we also love a long sleeve maxi dress! We recommend going for something that has some sparkle or texture. That way, you'll stand out at the holiday party!
If you're going for subtleties, we recommend a simple black dress or an art deco dress with a fringe combo with pearls and an elaborate headpiece. For something more dramatic, try a sequined top paired with a flapper dress or an old Hollywood fringe dress.
If you need to figure out what would work best for your body type, try on different silhouettes until you find one that makes you feel fabulous!
Iconic Hair of the 1920s
The 1920s look is all about volume, so you'll want to choose a hairstyle that has lots of volume. If you have naturally curly hair, try curling it with rollers and then letting it air-dry. If you don't like curls or waves, blow dry your hair straight using large round brushes and ceramic irons. If you have straight hair already, use some texturizing spray to add some volume.
Hats and Headpieces to Complement Your Iconic Hair
The most iconic parts of any 1920s outfit are the hats and headpieces. Hats and headpieces are a great way to add an extra touch of style to your iconic hair. From cloches to fascinators, there are many different types of hats and headpieces that can be worn with any look, so pick one that will complement your dress and shoes. For example, if you're going for a full-length gown, try a small cloche hat or a feather headband with it.
The Perfect 20’s Gloves
The other iconic part of a 1920s outfit is the gloves. You can go for long or short, but we recommend something that's not too tight and has some stretch to it. For example, if you're wearing a long dress with sleeves, try going for a pair of elbow-length gloves that have some sparkle or texture, like lace.
Accessories to Complete the Look
Accessories are the final touch on any 1920s-inspired outfit. Try adding a small beaded purse and a long chain necklace to complete your look. Or, if you're going for something more casual, try some bracelets or earrings instead.
If you're going for a completely formal look, try adding some pearl or diamond drop earrings. To finish off your look, try adding a small beaded purse and a long chain necklace. If you're going for something more casual, try some vintage half-circle filigree stretch bracelets or a pair of oval drop pearl earrings instead. And, of course, let’s not forget the right holiday makeup to complete your look!
Colors that Make your Look Pop
The 1920s were a time of significant changes, and that's reflected in fashion. This era's bright colors and bold prints are perfect for making a statement at your Gatsby-themed holiday party. When it comes to color, choose from a variety of shades in the red and green color families.
You can also wear darker colors like black or navy blue as long as you pair them with something bright. Pattern 1920s fashion was full of bold patterns and prints, so don't be afraid to experiment with them when planning your outfit.
Ready to Party with the Great Gatsby in the Roaring Twenties?
The 1920s were a period of change. The roaring twenties saw the rise of women's rights and feminism and the end of World War I. This was an era full of optimism and excitement, and it's no wonder people wanted to get in on the fun.
They were full of parties and social gatherings, so if you're planning to attend a Great Gatsby-themed New Year’s Eve party this season, we suggest dressing up as a 1920s flapper girl or gangster. If you want to go all out on your look, we highly recommend investing in some vintage-inspired clothing and accessories.
There are plenty of places to get your 1920s-inspired look, but if you want something a little closer to the real thing, try shopping at WardrobeShop. You can find everything from flapper dresses to plus-size vintage dresses!